Home

The Old Water Tower is a grade II listed landmark building in Swanage, Dorset, built in 1886 and converted into a dwelling by its current owners in the 1990’s.SAM_2462 - Copy

We bought the Tower in Nov 1991 – it had always been in private ownership, never having been run by a public water company.

It was derelict – no floors, just a big empty space with a cast iron ladder going up inside the front face, in three stages, to a trap door opening onto the roof. There were originally only four windows in the Tower – these are now the second floor windows.

The attached pump room – a single storey with a pitched roof originally held the pumping machinery.

There was no water or gas supply, no sewer connection and the only electrical supply was a double socket at ground floor level . It stood derelict and unloved for over a hundred years, falling into considerable disrepair.

For more information on its early life and use see the history page.